Amazon

Friday, July 3, 2009

Bette Davis Eyes & Farrah Fawcett Hair (Part 1 of 1)

[For previous blogs please visit “blog archive” to the lower left of this screen.]

Farrah Fawcett’s incredible journey to the end of her life was reality TV of a courageous caliber. Normally, I avoid anything to do with reality TV because these creations focus on absurd confrontation, excessive and brutal competition, belittlement, demeaning behaviors, and are filled with embarrassing examples of humanity. In fact, when I learned she was video-chronicling her fight against cancer I cringed. However, I underestimated the impact of such a brave production. Farrah did not “go gentle into that good night.”[i]

When most of us first became aware of Farrah it was via the popular TV show, Charlie’s Angels.  As I remember, it was a simplistic format.  During the opening credits it was explained that Charlie’s “angels” were working for “Charlie” as private investigators. Though they had completed tough police academy training, they were given old fashioned, gender-based duties with the police department. Their only option to utilize their training and skills would be with Charlie, a mystery man we never saw. He assigned investigations to these women each week (Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, and later, cast substitutions of Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack, and Tanya Roberts. John Forsythe was the voice of the invisible Charlie and David Doyle portrayed Charlie’s liaison with the lovely investigators). The formula was simple: solve a case, wear beautiful clothes, and set hair trends for millions of women (and a few men).

I recently watched (again) Of Human Bondage [1934] based on W. Somerset Maugham’s novel, with Leslie Howard and Bette Davis. In this wonderful movie Bette goes from a breathtaking beauty to a wretched fallen woman. Even though her appearance deteriorates horribly in the movie, there wasn’t a makeup artist in Hollywood who could change those beautiful eyes. If shown photos of several sets of eyes almost everyone would be able to pick out Bette’s expressive orbs without hesitation. Just like Farrah’s smile and signature hair.

Farrah somehow managed to smile at her doctors when they were inflicting more painful treatments on her ever-weakening body. In the last few months and weeks and days of Farrah’s life, though that smile was still there, we all know that cancer treatments are terribly hard on hair. It bothered her in a very brave way, but not her fans. We will always see her with her beautiful hair.  I know she was more than a smile and hair but what a sweet legacy.

And now I must confess, I had Farrah Fawcett Hair. Years ago I had varying degrees of thick, multi-colored shades of blond hair and with great good fortune was one of the few who could actually copy her magnificent mane. I never managed it as beautifully as she did but I came very close. Almost everyone I knew tried to get their hair to look that way but one needed a very specific type of hair and clever shaping by an expert in a salon. I loved my hair this way, but sadly, I wore this style longer than my stylist’s comfort level. Toward the waning of its popularity he told me it was time to move on because Farrah had!

Sometimes walking down the street one would see dozens of Farrah heads but in some cases what was meant to be a stunning replica was in reality thin and flat and without the proper shaping by a hair stylist. We could spot a “bad Farrah” a mile away. (I should point out that though I was successful in getting my hair to look like Farrah’s, all other similarities stopped there.)

At different times in my life I’ve loved and hated TV, often at the same time depending on the programming (I’m currently in hate mode which will be thoroughly blogged in a few weeks; see paragraph 1 herein). Charlie’s Angels was simple, light entertainment with the primary focus on the amazingly beautiful cast along with fascinating guest appearances as well. It was a pleasant and harmless way to spend an hour and an inexpensive way to pick up all sorts of fashion tips! Men loved this show for obvious reasons, but women were equally enamored. 

The actors were all unique. John Forsythe though never seen (at least I don’t think they ever saw his face though there were close calls) had a beautiful voice. Bosley (David Boyle) had a crusty, raspy, exotic voice and a fun semi-macho persona. Next, Kate, Jaclyn, and Farrah were each special in their individual beauty.  Scripts were designed to enhance their individual styles and personalities. Farrah, however, rose to spectacular popularity because of her smile, her hair, her perfect tan figure and sparkling personality. Posters and interviews and fan magazines went crazy over Farrah. She was electric.

Sometimes when a TV actor/actress is met with such huge success on the small screen they often find transitioning to films and other work difficult. Farrah did not stay long with the angels because she knew she was already typecast and she longed for a more well rounded career. I did a little research which helped me remember that Farrah later went on to do serious work tackling tough subjects. (My personal favorite: Extremities.)  One might never know she had been a somewhat fluffy angel for Charlie (unless a person came from another planet because who on earth did not know about Charlie’s Angels?)

I have always tried very hard to avoid all celebrity gossip. If I see a tabloid while standing in the checkout line at the store I immediately turn in the opposite direction (and end up buying candy). I don’t want to know anything about their personal lives. I’d rather gain two pounds. Sometimes celebrity gossip is unavoidable when mingling with friends and coworkers so I have overheard more than I want to about various celebrities.

Prior to her documentary I knew almost nothing about Farrah’s personal life except for the famous men in her life and that she had a son. I did happen to catch her famous (or infamous) appearance on the David Letterman show but was happily unaware of any particular reason for the unusual appearance. Most of what I know about her now I learned via her own video production of her final struggles with cancer. It was very difficult to watch. 

And so at the end of Farrah’s battle, for some reason, I thought of Bette Davis. Maybe because I had recently watched Of Human Bondage. I noticed the same power in Bette Davis the last time I saw her on The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson. It was 1988 and she died not too long after in 1989. She wasn’t well but was dressed to the nines and the epitome of class. Bette was terribly thin and frail that night and I knew the end was near. But she was feisty and strong-willed, and her eyes were exactly the same. Bette Davis Eyes and Farrah Fawcett Hair. Unforgettable.


[i] Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

[Excerpt; Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas]

[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author.]