Amazon

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful (Part 1 of 1)

[For previous blogs please visit “blog archive” to the lower left of this screen. Click on the small black arrows for a drop down list of all the blogs.]

Because it’s Thanksgiving today, I’m posting my usual Sunday blog a bit early to celebrate today’s event. Each year at this time we Americans give thanks for our bounty. Our bounty has gotten shaky over recent years but we still have more than most of the world. I’m not qualified to give a collective thanks but I can give thanks for what I personally am fortunate to have.

I’m thankful for early Native Americans and their assistance and guidance to my ancestors as they arrived on the shores of this beautiful country and struggled to survive.

I’m thankful that I have a brain because I pay attention to what I see and hear and know when something is not right and that I do not fall victim to the ways of our political leaders and challenge them frequently.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful that I’m a hard worker because I managed to take care of myself and my kids through challenging times.

I’m thankful for early California’s Native Americans and what was then Mexico inhabited by Mexican citizens who paved the way for development of the greatest state in the union.

I’m thankful I no longer have to hear George Bush’s voice every day.

I’m thankful I have a cute little house and a decent car.

I’m thankful that after 64 Thanksgivings I have never ever gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving choosing instead to spend the entire holiday weekend with my family.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful I have my health and physical vigor to lead an active life.

I’m thankful I have a pension so that I can do things I like rather than things I have to do.

I’m thankful I live in a beautiful part of the world with moderate weather and lots of sunshine.

I’m thankful for Martin Luther King, Jr., and though he was only here for a short time he enriched our lives forever.

I’m thankful my grandmother lived long enough to get to know my kids and that they still remember her.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful I share my cute little house with dogs and cats.

I’m thankful I don’t have knee problems.

I’m thankful I’ve lived in 25 different places in my life.

I’m thankful my mom is doing well and able to live in her own house surrounded by loving neighbors and that my dad is safe and well cared for in a wonderful nursing home.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful for email and Facebook and Twitter to keep in touch with everyone I love.

I’m thankful I have stepsiblings and an entire stepfamily though we never use the word “step” and it’s only used here for clarification.

I’m thankful fanaticism is still under control in our country and that many people are fighting to keep it that way.

I’m thankful my dad liked to go camping and boating and fishing and skiing.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful I care about the planet and its inhabitants and that I make considerate decisions in the way I live my daily life.

I’m thankful I have friends from childhood I still communicate with regularly, friends from all the places I’ve lived throughout my life that I still communicate with regularly, and friends here in Santa Rosa, Arizona, Florida, Visalia, Pollock Pines (and elsewhere) that started as coworkers but became very special friends during that period we were together eight hours a day, five days a week, for many years.

I’m thankful for the efforts and toil of slaves that were stolen and sold and shipped to America because they made our country flourish and helped it grow and develop albeit on the backs of their forced labor.

I’m thankful they were subsequently freed and began to enrich their own lives and the lives of all of us because of their shared strength and tireless devotion to equality for all.

I’m thankful for Cott Hobart for introducing me to the world of Joseph Campbell.

I’m thankful for Rose Boche for introducing me to writing and literature.

I’m thankful for Lyle Thunen for forcing me to learn how to type.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful I do not have addictive harmful habits.

I’m thankful I just completed year three in my craft business and plan on a fourth year.

I’m thankful I wrote and published a book.

I’m thankful Mayor Newsom is not running for Governor.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful my hair is not turning too gray and thankful for Nice & Easy for the few strands that appear over night.

I’m thankful for this video (provided by Sherry Nolan): http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=norcsii#p/

I’m thankful I have two wonderful grown children who are the basis of my thankful life.

I’m thankful I’m not married.

I’m thankful I’m not a turkey.

www.sharonstrawhandgarner.com

[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author.]