Amazon

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Young At Heart

[New blogs posted every weekend. For previous blogs please visit “blog archive” to the lower right of this screen. Click on the small black arrows for a drop down list.]
     I had lunch with a few younger friends recently and we discussed their upcoming retirements. I have been retired for a little over four years and they wanted to know what I did with myself all day. That always cracks me up. The retirement picture for most people is still this: a white haired senior sitting in a rocking chair on her front porch sipping Earl Grey with a cat on her lap. Though there are probably some of those folks around (I don’t know any), most of the ones I know are sipping tea after finishing their 5-mile run and before getting ready to paint their house. I know some “very” senior people who take hiking vacations---with other seniors. Isn’t it time to upgrade the senior image? Yes, but first, start from within.
     Keeping the “old” senior stereotype alive damages life for those of us who are not living that way. It makes it harder for us to find work and it lessens our credibility as productive citizens of the world. Our viewpoints aren’t taken seriously. There will always be people older than their chronological years. I know one couple who were “old” in their 50s. They dressed “old,” wore their hair “old,” and behaved “old.” It was a state of mind. Then they developed illnesses and issues associated with what people think old people end up with.
     We know how important it is to eat well, stay active (physically and mentally) and most friends in my age group (65 and older) are doing that. Though illness and body issues come along we can forestall many of them. But not without a global appreciation for today’s modern seniors. That includes people who work with seniors and see them as vibrant and productive. We must surround ourselves with people who believe in us.
     Remember when our kids were little? Did we say “you can’t do that” or “don't do that because you’ll fail” or “always play it safe, don't take chances”? It’s so good for us to try and fail. As we get older we fail less. By the time we get to this age we’re damn near perfect because of all our “failures.” We can do all sorts of things because we’re at the peak of our intelligence via our experiences. 
     I have aches and pains. When I hit the floor some days my back sends me a message. “Hey, who do you think you are? You aren’t twenty anymore. Slow down.” I usually reply, “Screw you.” Mind over matter? You bet. Always. And if that doesn’t work, head to the doctor and demand proper treatment and not “act your age” scolding. If my doctor ever tries to convince me I’m too old to put up shelving in my garage I will find a new doctor.
     I’ve written about seniors before---a lot. Probably because I am one and I continue to hear negatives about being older and retirement. No. No. No. (Pun intended.) I love this age. All of the ravages of youth are behind me. We know what they were: hormone issues prior to menopause, then menopause (I have a few lingering hot flashes), child-rearing, good and bad spouses, parent problems, employment problems, insurance problems (I love Medicare though it’s lacking), no time to do anything, racing around keeping it all together while working all day, and not speaking my mind for fear of reprisals (now I don't care what I say.)
     So now I am away from all the physical and crazy things that zapped a huge portion of my life. As I write this I have music playing in the background, a nice cup of hot coffee sitting by my computer, I’m in my nightgown, and when I’m done here I’m getting dressed and will walk my dogs for an hour. After that I’ll work in the yard a bit then take a bubble bath. After lunch I’ll spend the afternoon editing my latest masterpiece and will check in on Facebook and Twitter and email a few friends and family members. Two or three times each week I meet with friends for lunch or coffee. I drive an hour north once a week and visit mom and help her out a little (she’s 85). I have a stack of books and I also have a few eBooks. I’m new to eBooks and loving it. I’m working on house projects and each day I check out my “to-do” list then tackle a project. I rarely do “nothing.” When quiet I read. I relax in the tub with music playing and do nothing but semi-float. Talk about Zen.
     I planned this retirement. It didn’t just spring up out of thin air. I worked hard for it. I went to night school for five years to obtain an A.A. that enabled me to get a promotion at work then I kept at it for many years until I reached 62. (I had hoped to continue with a B.A. but the cost was outrageous.) And then I retired. It was hard going to night school and working and taking care of kids. It was worth every minute because now I’m sitting here in my nightgown and when I press submit after finishing this small post I’m off to the trail with my dogs.
     I don't have a porch but I do have a cat. She sits on my lap when I’m writing. I don't drink Earl Grey. I prefer strong freshly ground coffee. So bring it on. Just ask Judith Viorst and Dylan Thomas!
[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author. Blog series began in March 2009.]