Amazon

Monday, March 30, 2009

How To Start A Craft Business Lesson 3

Now it’s time to select two or three “starter” events. Sounds like I’m putting the cart before the horse again, booking an event before you’ve prepared a display, but events usually require booking in advance and some organizers only select vendors four times a year. My first event was inadequate and didn’t give me a “feel” for what was to come.  Booking a “good” event will launch you properly and will be quite the learning experience. I will explain displays in Lesson 4.

 

Most events charge a fee. There are a few free events but they are often community service events and people are visiting for service information and consultation and are not interested in shopping. Though those events can be fun, I’m not in it for fun. Getting up at the crack of dawn, loading the caR, driving to the event, unloading the car, sitting all day in whatever weather comes your way, without sales, Loading the car at the end of the day, driving home with empty pockets, and--unloading the car--is not my idea of fun—unless I had a profitable day. And you don’t learn anything at a free event (except that you’ll never do free events again).

 

Some events charge a processing fee for the year but also charge a per-event fee.  The larger the event, the more customers, the higher the fees. Some events require that you submit a hefty application packet with photos and application fees and processing fees and diagrams and proof of insurance and your driver’s license and seller’s permit, etc. (and they may not select you;  these are called juried events). Some require liability insurance, but some provide the insurance, which you purchase from them for their event only. This year I’m purchasing liability insurance and my insurance carrier estimates it’s about $350 for the year.

 

*****BEWARE*****  Events come in all shapes and sizes. Some are small and well run and others are large and horrible. By visiting events you can tell which ones you would like to try. With the amount of work I put into developing my items and the amount of time AND MONEY I’ve put into an attractive exhibit, I am now extremely picky about selecting events. Last year I participated in 17 events (some multi-day) and I hope to double that this year. Of the 17 events there were several I will not do ever again. (Don’t ask, I won’t tell.) It isn’t the sales, good or bad, it’s the organization and appearance of the event that is important.  I tried one flea market that was beautifully organized, clean, friendly, and there were many customers. I sold one item. It was not the flea market’s fault. It was mine. My items and display are not suited for a flea market.  What I’ve learned most of all is: know where you belong. (Sort of sounds like a life lesson too I suppose.)

 

I currently check online for events, receive emails from other exhibitors I’ve met, and I joined an event website for an annual fee. This website lists hundreds (maybe thousands) of events. Each listing is masterfully detailed. (Festival Network Online also known as FNO.) There are many others and you probably know what’s going on in your own community so start with those events.  Here are some useful tips:

*The longer an event has been running, the better organized and it usually has a faithful customer base (but not always).

 

*Location, location, location. If the lovely event is in Outer Mongolia but looks great, skip it. Many customers are not willing to drive to Outer Mongolia.  Communities with a decent sized population have customers who are willing to drive around all day hitting the local farmers markets and craft fairs and festivals.  Communities that cater to tourists are great. If the event in Outer Mongolia has a large tourist business, that would be an exception to my no Outer Mongolia events (but not always).

 

Speaking of festivals, be careful. Many organizers call their events “festivals” but they are not. If you are invited to participate in a “festival” and you are restricted to one table, run. Unless I can bring my entire display I no longer will exhibit at events that restrict what I can bring. It’s too much work, I’ve put too much money into my little business, and like I said before, I’m not in it for fun (always).

 

Some farmers markets accept craft exhibits. The customers for those events are up and out the door early purchasing produce and love to be outdoors and stroll and enjoy looking at all the crafts.  Farmers are great to work with and you’ll be able to purchase a nice bag of fresh produce for your family at the end of the day.  These markets are my favorite places to work (always).

 

Holiday events are tremendous. Everyone wants unique gifts for family and friends. These events are great for selling your higher end crafts. It’s March and I’ve already started preparing for Christmas. These events are fun as well as profitable. Everyone is in good spirits (but not always).  

 

Take some time to research events and visit as many as you can find. Once you have lined up a few events you’d like to try, you now need a display. (See you next Sunday!) 

www.sharonstrawhandgarner.com

[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author.]