Amazon

Monday, March 30, 2009

How To Start A Craft Business Lesson 4

The display! The first thing you’ll need is a cart. It will be your best friend. Rubbermaid makes a lightweight cart that folds completely flat for about $75. I find it easier to manage than a standard hand-truck.

 

Your display will vary depending on your items but the tried and true style is the U shape display. You CAN launch yourself with one table and many do. If you make smaller items that may even suffice. You can always add tables as you go along.  The U shape consists of three tables (duh). I purchased aluminum suitcase tables that are 4’ by 6’ and are light and easy to maneuver and to LOAD and UNLOAD and they save space when folded. After the tables are arranged, you should drape each table with a tablecloth. Depending on your items you can also stack each table with shelves. I use two shelves per table. The shelves provide a more “shop” like appearance and customers swing in and feel they are in a small boutique. Shelving and bricks or whatever you like will work. Don’t forget a chair! I take two so that when I have family or friends visit they can sit down. I use the typical folding style chair because they fold almost flat. Remember: you will be lugging everything in and out of your car. More on packing at the end. 

 

Exhibits usually have canopies even for indoor events. The Hall of Flowers at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds is huge and canopies and umbrellas make the exhibits seem more like small shops (it’s all about the comfort of the customer). They are usually white and sometimes organizers accept only white canopies. I haven’t done any with that requirement and it’s a good thing because I have a huge black pendulum style umbrella! It’s beautiful and does not have a center pole and I can manage it by myself. It also folds into a slim “pencil” and slips right in the back of my little car. Most canopies require two people, even the ones that say “so easy you can open it by yourself.” That person would be a linebacker for the 49ers with the arms of Plastic Man. If you don’t remember Plastic Man here’s a link to his photo: www.superherotimes.com/news/images/JLA.Ross.pm.af.all-01.jpg

 

Next, if you do indoor events, you will need lighting. I have six clip-on high intensity lights with a power surger and a long heavy-duty extension cord (packed snuggly in a nice plastic box with a lid). Most indoor events will accommodate your request for lighting if you give them advance notice.

 

Depending on your items you need a few “decorative” display pieces. I have two chrome and black velvet mannequins I use to display shrugs and scarves. I have a few props I take: a baby wearing one of my baby buntings, a Styrofoam “head” to display hats, several baskets, greeting card racks (professional) and at Christmas I brought in a few Christmas decorations. Keep the exhibit neat and tidy at all times. Customers browse and sometimes leave things in disarray.

 

You will also need bags or boxes for your customers to carry off your items. I purchase a variety of bags inexpensively online in bulk. Also consider making or ordering business cards with your contact information. These can also be used for inventory tags. I have a refund policy and an exchange policy. If someone purchases a gift they are uncertain about for a friend, they like knowing they can exchange or return it. Tag each of your items with a price tag and make a pretty “created by Miss Mary” tag with your contact info or attach your business card. All of these items are everywhere at the major stores (even the giant discount stores).

 

You will need some sort of safe storage for your cash/credit card receipts. You must always start your event with a few bills for change and you will receive cash throughout the day. If you use a cash box or something similar you have to watch it like a hawk. You will be distracted frequently and will not be carrying your cash box with you so an apron is handy. (Thievery will be discussed in the next lesson.)

 

Do you want to deal with coins and odd amounts? Not me. My items are dollar values only. I use a black vendor style apron with two pockets. [My umbrella is black, my tablecloths are black, my apron is black, I wear a black hat, my clip-on lights are black, and even my car is black. When I exhibit at an event where I can park my car next to my exhibit it all looks quite cohesive.]  All my cash and credit card receipts go in one pocket and my cell phone, driver’s license, medical card, etc., in the other. I never take a purse. Sometimes you can park your car next to your exhibit but often you are quite a distance away. Keep nothing of value in the car.

 

Speaking of the car, I had a four-door Honda but traded with my daughter for her little Pontiac Vibe mini SUV. It is NOT by any stretch an SUV but it folds down completely flat in the back and half of the front and has storage on the roof (which I haven’t had to use).

 

Whatever car you use, plastic storage containers are the way to go. Cardboard boxes break down with use (I had an unpleasant collapse and some of my items blew away never to be seen again). Cardboard doesn’t handle moisture well and eventually stops stacking properly, and then you end up with a mess. My entire display is now in plastic boxes, many with lids. Everything is clean and easy to stack. Experiment with this suggestion because each car is so different. I’ve seen them all at the events. What I would love to have is a giant van! (That will require a LOT of knitting.)

 

Prepare a checklist of things you’ll need to take to each event. I would be happy to send you a copy of my checklist. I have several copies and each time I pack the car I grab a copy and load the car with the list in hand. You’d be amazed at the things you need when you’re stuck somewhere all day! (Like a hammer, Imodium, scissors, bandages, nail file, something to read, etc. My list is funny but a lifesaver!) I also leave my car semi-packed when I’m doing back-to-back events. I usually bring my craft items in the house to re-inventory and re-pack for the next event, but I try to leave as much of the heavy items as I can in the car. This might not work well if you have a family.  My dog has gotten used to sitting on my folding tables. The hardest part of all of this for me has been loading and unloading then loading and unloading for each event. I love the three- or four-day indoor events. You can leave it all at the event and the events I’ve participated in of that nature have been secure.

 

As you attend events you will find other wonderful ways to display your items. Craft and art exhibitors are a sharing bunch of people. They want you to succeed because if booths are filled with happy customers everyone wins. If you find something wonderful for your display, share it with your neighbors.

 

The next lesson will cover how to actually sell your items: demeanor, bantering with the customers, incentives (buy one, get one half off, putting a few items from last year “on sale,” signs), protection (yep), etc.

 

By the way, at this point you have figured out that it’s costing quite a bit to launch your little business; right? Right! Initially, you can manage with cardboard boxes, you can put off buying lighting until you have an indoor event and even then you can put it off, etc. However, the more attractive your display the more likely you will attract customers. Inventory, display items, and event fees add up. If you launch properly, you will get sales. If this isn’t the time to launch, start a savings and try in a few months or a year. 

www.sharonstrawhandgarner.com 

[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author.]