Amazon

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Scary Driving (Part 1 of 1)

[For previous blogs please visit “blog archive” to the lower left of this screen. Click on the small black arrows for a drop down list of all the blogs.]

I’ve been in love with driving since my teens. I obtained my license on my 16th birthday and have been happily cruising through life. Over the years I have observed many funny (and scary) things while driving. A driver talking on a cell phone is not one of them. It’s not funny or particularly scary; it’s standard operating procedure these days. And it isn’t as scary as other driving behaviors. Excessive speed, swerving in and out of lanes during rush hour, tires flying off and rolling across the freeway and engaging oncoming traffic—all scary. It’s a jungle out there. (Thank you Randy Newman.)

I do not talk on my cell while driving unless I wear my Bluetooth earpiece. It’s a fabulous little object and all I have to do is press a button with my finger and it becomes voice-activated, hands-free. I can say “call mom” or “call Dr. Smith” or “call Roundtable” or whatever. I can hang up by depressing the button or just let the other party hang up then I don’t have to do anything. I can also answer it in the same way. If I get a call I depress the button. I don’t have to look at the operation because I know where my ear is. Sometimes I use the device when working here in my craft/office room if I’m using a hot glue gun.

I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t have one of these handy devices but perhaps not all phones are compatible with Bluetooth. Perhaps older phones are not equipped. I do know that many years ago prior to Bluetooth I had a headset attached to my cell with a long cord. The phone did require that I pick it up and manage it for calling but once the call was made I just placed it on the console and had my conversation.

All that said, I hate talking on the phone, cell or landline. I only have the Bluetooth device to talk to my mom and children. When I’m in the car or in a store or on errands I do not call or receive calls from anyone. I like to listen to music in the car or catch the news because I love the physical act of driving. If I’m driving some distance I bring CDs. But I have come to love the convenience of a cell phone. I bought one many years ago and rarely used it. It was the size of a small Navy vessel and I had to purchase a purse that would accommodate its girth. In those days I only used it for true emergencies. It sat in my purse for days without use and then I’d have to charge the battery to make sure it would be ready for the flat tire or call from a stranded kid.

Over time cell phones evolved into better and better little units and their use possibilities became what they are today. I now use my cell phone constantly, except for talking. I could not do without it. I’m hooked. I had a Blackberry the last few years and now I have an iPhone. Still, I rarely talk on the cell. It’s my little computer-in-my-pocket.

During my years of driving I have witnessed people shaving, applying makeup, including mascara as the driver stretched very close to the rear view mirror and delicately applied the wand to her lashes, and of course, I’ve witnessed many people eating. In fact, many men eat behind the wheel and they often are chomping down on large, juicy burgers. With both hands. I presume they are steering with their knees. Years ago I observed a couple engaged in a sex act and they knew I saw them and they seemed to enjoy that I knew. I once saw a man driving with his seat so far back (and in the reclining position) that he seemed to be taking a nap. I’ve watched people argue to the point the driver didn’t look at the road at all while he or she screamed at a spouse or children for a very long period of time.

I’ve encountered so many drunk drivers swerving all over the road that it’s commonplace. There are many people who watch DVDs while driving and I’ve seen people read books and newspapers while driving. Almost any activity we can perform in our homes or on our sofas can be done in the driver’s seat of our cars. Including bathroom breaks via the portable containers one can use for car trips. Recently I saw someone with a large laptop leaning against the steering wheel as the driver quickly pecked at the keyboard while darting looks to the roadway. As he became more involved with the computer he looked at the roadway less frequently. I reduced my speed to about 40 hoping he would finish but he kept at it. I finally had to speed up to 70 to pass him. He had started intense swerving.

One of the most horrific uses of a cell phone today is text messaging while driving. I see that constantly. It’s easy to tell someone is texting because they typically hold the cell fairly close to their faces as they type away. I often watch the cars start to drift before they quickly correct their steering only to do it all over again. Texting while driving, especially when driving a train, should be right up there with drunk driving.

So Maria Shriver got busted recently (more than once) for talking on her cell phone while driving without a hands-free device. Considering what people do behind the wheel I thought that was fairly tame. I’m not condoning what she did. I guess she’s held to a higher standard and it’s considered “news.” But I see truly scary activities behind the wheel every day. I believe the state could make a tidy bundle if it ticketed more people for any dangerous driving behaviors. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of anyone receiving a ticket for eating behind the wheel or purchasing something on eBay on their laptop while driving on I80, but lately I’m hearing a lot about cell phone violators getting caught. Perhaps the CHP is ticketing burger eaters but we never hear about it. Maybe the evening news should report a few of these other dangerous activities along with celebrity cell phone abuse.

One of the most chilling occurrences I saw was when a woman spilled her coffee in her lap. I was next to her on the 101 heading north when peripherally I saw her tilt her head back to sip her drink and the lid fell off. I saw the lid go down, and then the entire cup went down. I braked knowing what was coming and sure enough, frantic swerving. From the movement of her head and arms I could tell it was painful and she was shocked and sort of forgot to drive. I hung way back and she finally gained control and pulled to the shoulder. I felt sorry for her but at the same time thought that was very poor judgment. Just one of hundreds of scenarios we’ve all observed. Several cars pulled over to help her so I pushed on. I’ve always wondered if she was okay. I don’t drink or eat in my car because I’m a klutz and I know the outcome would be bad.

Driving for me has always been an escape from the world. Before gas prices soared I used to simply hop in the car and go for a ride with no destination in mind. This was something my family did when I was growing up and I still love it. I don’t do it anymore because I’m too busy for a joy ride and because gas is outrageous, but I plan my errands for one big series of stops and that way I get my driving pleasure in. I just now returned from the doctor, the post office, the bank, a home improvement store, an office supply store, a large discount store, and a craft store. I started at 8:00 a.m. and it’s now 1:00 p.m.

I’ll never get a ticket for talking on a cell phone or eating a burger. I basically drive and listen to music. So much better than scalding coffee in my lap.

www.sharonstrawhandgarner.com

[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author.]