Amazon

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Writing/Publishing Your Great American Novel-Part 4 of 6

[For previous blogs please visit “blog archive” to the lower left of this screen.]

Most publishers want manuscripts to meet their specific standards. Requirements are similar throughout the industry but to be on the safe side, prepare your story in Word. At some point it might be converted to .pdf or it will be done for you. Double space your manuscript and use one-inch borders. Indent for paragraphs. That’s just basic but be warned you could be asked to change it. Self-publishing often requires you do a lot of the grunt work yourself and that isn’t bad. It’s a wonderful way to learn how to do things right. I started my book in WordPerfect but had to convert it all to Word.  It was fairly easy but I had to go over it with a fine-toothed comb because some of the transitioned spacing and words didn’t work well.

Editing is my favorite part of writing. I do not have a set method I use because it depends on other areas of my life. Sometimes I write for days and days and days without stopping. Then I may not get back to my computer for a few days because my life by this time has gotten out of control. Once I have my life back in order I sit back down and read what I wrote and edit. I love that part. I always find better ways of saying things and I’m often inspired to write more in certain spots. I also remove crappola. Sometimes I save the crappola and place it in a “crappola” file on my computer. It may be unsuitable for my current story but if I like how it reads I save it for another.

I rarely print out my pages until the entire story is set. I do several edits and think it’s almost done but then I print it out and find it’s not. I use a red pen, put my feet up and read it from beginning to end. I also love that part. The first read on paper. Next, I make all the corrections which takes a very long time and I do not print it out again—yet. I read it on the computer from beginning to end making smaller edits. I may do this a dozen times. Maybe more. Then I print it out again. At this point it’s almost born but I make copies and give it to selected family members and friends. Not only do they find things I missed but they often have suggestions. My daughter did not like any of the names I had selected for my characters and had compelling reasons for me to change them. She’s has a theater arts degree and knows the importance of a properly named character. My son has an English degree and you can guess what he suggested! (He is also a writer but mark my word, he will not be a simple story teller. He has one of those brains that sees the universe—and understands it.) My mom questioned some of my facts in certain time periods, which sent me back to research.

When I’m asked if writing is difficult it’s hard to answer. I do not find it difficult but it certainly zaps the time right out of your life and it becomes your life. Your family situation makes writing challenging sometimes. For me, however, the hardest part is stopping. I truly can sit here and write until I ache. My back went out from a gardening mishap and I had to set a timer to remind myself to get up from the computer and walk around and stretch. When I had my original 700 or so pages I realized for my story that was too much. I wanted to attract readers who wanted a simple story with a little excitement. The competition for the attention of readers is tremendous. For my first book I wanted to simply get it out there. My next stories may be longer. I love reading a book that goes on forever but I also love reading a book I can read from start to finish on a rainy day. That’s what I ended up with. A rainy day book. The sky’s the limit in that area. Back next Sunday.

www.sharonstrawhandgarner.com

[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author.]