Amazon

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pet Surgery and Other Bad Things

[NOTE: Look to the right of this note and find “Home,” “Fun page,” “Favorite links,” and “Afghans.” Click on them from time to time for additional information! New blogs posted every weekend. For previous blogs please visit “blog archive” to the lower right of this screen. Click on small black arrows for a drop down list.]
Four years ago I adopted one of my dogs knowing full well he had major dental problems. My vet and I discussed a treatment plan and we both decided to wait until he had lived with me a few months so he would be more comfortable with his surroundings. It was presumed his teeth had been bad for years prior to his arrival at the shelter. No one knew his history but it didn’t include dental care. However, someone loved this dog and treated him lovingly. He has great manners and knows a number of basic commands and is very polite and sweet. We think he may have had an older human and perhaps the human died and the family dropped him off because they didn’t want him or couldn’t have him. I wish they had taken the time to fill out an info sheet.
The vet said it would be extensive and costly the first time he did the procedure and he was right. The second time was estimated to be less stressful and less costly. It was a bit more---of both. The procedure was actually more invasive. He is the type of dog, and there are humans with this problem, who has terrible dental problems inherent to his gene pool. I’ve had friends who had root planing on a regular basis. I only have had one small area with a gum issue and after the work was performed I’ve been fine since. My poor dog.
So the first night was horrible but we are a week post-surgery and he is almost back to normal. With each day I see improvement and he is no longer on pain pills. That first night I felt I should have had pain pills too. I slept on his large dog pillow with him every night for a few days as he groaned and moaned and whimpered. He will NOT let me look in his mouth. When I attempt to look at his mouth he politely moves his head and firmly clamps his lips together. He gives me “the look.” Next week we go back for his post-surgery check-up. I can’t wait to see her try to pry his mouth open. He only has eleven teeth left so biting may not be an issue.
Two weeks before his surgery my daughter moved into a new apartment. She had belongings stored in a public storage unit and many in my garage. She lives about 20 miles away south of me now which makes visits a 40 mile round trip and I did my best to help her but then my dog had surgery and I was no longer able to help her with the stacks of boxes and debris. She is still sorting through it all because of course she had to return to work and I became a canine nurse.
Next, we discovered termites at my mom’s who lives 60 miles in the opposite direction. There’ve been inspections and appointments and phone calls and my mom doesn’t really understand any of it. We have more to go on this project. I have a gas-friendly car though.
Finally, we’ve had beautiful sunny weather so I hired someone to paint my house. First he had to deal with dry rot which was about as bad as my dog’s gum disease. The painter eventually had to enlist the assistance of his cousin, a dry rot expert, and they have been out there banging and pounding and using screeching electrical equipment for two weeks now. My little dog, the one who didn’t have the surgery, barks at them all day and I’ve given up trying to stop her. I’ve barked a time or two myself.
Many problems have occurred along the way with all these fun activities that have had to be resolved. I feel like a yo-yo. I have only missed one blog posting since I started this operation back in March of 2009 and this past week was my first week I couldn’t post anything. My head was pounding and I couldn’t think. I’m barely back to thinking.
[No part of this content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means without the written permission of the author. Blog series began in March 2009.]